If you’re like most bookworms, reading is one of your favorite hobbies, but there’s not always enough time in the day to crack open that latest romance novel or mystery thriller. After work or school, you may feel worn out, tired, or simply not in the mood to read. Day after day, you end up putting your book aside for “another day.” Sound familiar?
No matter how busy your life is, you can make time for your favorite pastime! Instead of putting your books back on the shelf, try these easy tips to sneak more reading into your daily schedule:
- Aim to read just 20 pages per day. Author James Clear swears by this one guideline for reading. He says that at this pace, he can finish about 7 books in just 10 weeks. He goes on to explain that because most people can finish 20 pages of reading in less than half an hour, it’s a very doable goal for even the busiest people.
- Stop reading books you don’t enjoy. Did a friend suggest a book that you just can’t get into? Have you ever gotten a few chapters into a popular novel and simply didn’t enjoy it? This year, don’t force yourself to keep reading books you don’t find intriguing! There should be no shame in saying that novel wasn’t for you and picking up a different book to try. Reading should be a pleasurable escape, not an item you need to check off your to-do list.
- Get book recommendations from others. You can chat with other avid readers right here on GagaOverBooks. Here, you’re sure to find people who love the same genres as you so you can discuss your favorite reads, talk about new releases, read book reviews, and more!
- Always carry a book with you. Think of all the little moments during the day when you could squeeze in a few pages of your book: perhaps you could read on the bus, while you’re waiting for an appointment, during your work break, when your friend is running late for coffee… there are plenty of small opportunities to read if you know how to notice them.
- Listen to audio books. If you have a long commute, consider trying audiobooks instead of listening to music. It can help you relax after a long day at work and you can get a little farther ahead in your novel while driving!